The American Higher Education Crisis: Blacks Excluded from STEM Faculty Positions
Lisa Sanon-Jules and Sandra Donnay
- Blacks are less than 1% of Biology and less than 2% of Chemistry faculty1.
- Blacks are less than 1% of tenured mathematics faculty2.
- Black faculty are concentrated in non-STEM disciplines1.
- Li, D., & Koedel, C. (2018). “Representation and salary gaps by race-ethnicity and gender at selective public universities”: Corrigendum. Educational Researcher, 47(7), 474. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X18799062
- Doan, I. (2019). Arlie Petters is one of the few tenured black mathematicians. He wants to diversify his field. The Chronicle. Retrieved January 24, 2021 from https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/05/duke-university-arlie-petters-black-math-professor-u-s-diversify-field